Since going with the keto lifestyle, I’ve discovered a ton of new recipes. I love playing in the kitchen. You know what else I love? Savory breakfast. I’ve never really been into sweet breakfasts, but I do love pancakes. I’m on my way to finding the ultimate keto pancake recipe.
Update: I found it! Try my low carb pancakes here.
I’m absolutely loving cauliflower at the moment, and am really happy that it can be turned into lots of things: Mashed potatoes, pizza crust, “buffalo chicken”, fried rice, you name it.
I decided one morning to mix an egg into some cauliflower, add some spices, and cook it in a pan and you know what? It came out pretty good! Call it a cauliflower pancake or a fritter. Either way it’s a quick and easy (and filling) meal.
This recipe is for 1 person, so just double or triple it if you’d like. You can also make them bigger or smaller. They are super filling!
Make your riced cauliflower
You can make this in advance to save time. I like to put my raw cauliflower into a food processor and blend it up until it’s nice and fine. Then I dump it into a skillet on medium-low and cook it for about 10-15 minutes to steam it a bit. I squeeze out as much water as I can (a potato ricer works wonders here!), and then I’ve got cauliflower rice, ready for whenever. Keep it in a tupperware container in the fridge for up to a week!
Whip those egg whites
UPDATE: I’ve started separating the eggs and whipping the egg whites. They come out lighter and fluffier, with an even better texture!
Mix the yolks into the cauliflower, then beat the whites to stiff peaks in a separate bowl. Fold half of the whites into the cauliflower until combined, then gently fold in the other half, and cook as per instructions.
If you don’t want to go to the trouble, don’t sweat it. They will still be tasty.
Let me know if you try any other types of mix-ins, or maybe even a sweet version.
- 100 grams riced cauliflower
- 1 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- Pinch garlic powder
- Pinch onion powder or raw onion would be good
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put cream cheese and cauliflower into a bowl and mix together well with a fork. I put it into the microwave for about 20 seconds to get the cream cheese softened with it.
- Whisk egg thoroughly, and add to cauliflower bowl. Mix until combined. (See UPDATE above for fluffier option)
- Add in spices and salt/pepper
- With a skillet on medium, melt a tablespoon of your choice of butter or oil. I like to use bacon fat…yum!
- Take about 1/4 cup of the mixture and drop it onto the skillet. Flatten it out into about 1/4″ thick round.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown on one side, then flip. Cook the other side for another 5 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Top with some fresh avocado, sour cream, spinach, or whatever you like! Sometimes I poach and egg and put it on top as well.
- That’s it!
Note: Your macros could vary, so please refer to whichever reference guide you use to keep track.